January 25, 2012

the Zodiac Dresser: Capricorn

Welcome to another installment of my Zodiac Dresser series in which I explore astrology through outfits. This post is inspired by Capricorn. (All photos by Charles O'Donovan at Maymont petting zoo.) 
purse
(50s purse and dress: thrifted * shoes: Deluxe, OR * tights: ? * earmuffs: a trading post in Maine)
For the first time ever in this series, I'm actually posing with this sign's symbol, the goat. Like this steady-footed animal, capricorns seek to "climb higher" in life through their ambition, scrupulousness and hard work. Appropriately enough, this sign's ruling planet is Saturn, named after the powerful roman god of obstacles, responsibility and discipline.
smile
Unfortunately, capricorn's tenacious character also tends to be overly conservative, domineering, egotistical and materialistic.
coat
(coat: thrifted)
I wanted my outfit to represent capricorn's colors (brown and green) as well as its restrained but successful natures. My dress is from the 1950s, a time marked by both conservatism and economic boom. The dress's style is reserved but its quality is in remarkable condition because of the scrupulous construction. 

bracelets goats
garnet bracelet: gift * skull bracelet: Clementine
Capricorns rule the bones and are associated with the stone garnet, hence my choice of bracelets.
milk maid
famous capricorns include: Martin Luther King Jr * Elvis Presley * Benjamin Franklin * Stephen Hawking * Joan of Arc * Dolly Parton * Rod Serling * Edgar Allan Poe * Muhammad Ali * J.R.R. Tolkien * Marlene Dietrich

Do you know any capricorns well? Is one of them you?

--m

Share |

8 comments:

  1. i love that dress on you. the fit is soo flattering and with the tights it just looks amazing. i don't know any capricorns. everyone i know that is born in january is born after the 22nd.
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool idea for a post! I also love that dress... it looks fabulous on you. Such cool photos with the goats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the earmuffs are amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool! ^^

    http://izumihiiiflower

    ReplyDelete
  5. Restrained or not that dress is awesome, and it looks awesome on you!  I love the pop of color with the tights in contrast to the muted dress and shoes.

    Can I just say that I've really been enjoying this series of Zodiac dressing?  It's a fascinating idea, and I really like seeing your interpretations of the signs.  Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am wildly in love with this outfit. Also, I want those goats. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh this is one of my favorite Zodiac posts yet! I love love love everything about it.  You look so happy!  And your earmuff & tights are fantastic.

    I'm so so ready for Aquarius! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are good enough to be a fashion spread in a magazine... they look really professional I think-  credit to you and the photographer- you look very graceful and self-confident.  And I looove the earmuffs.   unexpected but really flattering in a way I can't fully articulate.

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!