July 17, 2011

New York

As you may remember, I mentioned recently that I just spent 2 weeks housesitting in Brooklyn. Here are a few of the over 250 photos from my journeys around Manhattan and Brooklyn.
theater now church
This church in Washington Heights was originally an "exotic revival" theater built in the 1920s.
medallions
Restrained and flamboyant medallions somewhere in Brooklyn.
knitted cart and meter
corner
Sparacino's
nam wah tea parlor
For the best dim sum of your life, check out Nam Wah in Chinatown. Not only is the food totally delicious, but the space is very old and has retained many of mid-century features.
spread
IMG_9799
forward
cup and saucer
Sadly there was a "for lease" sign in the window. I hope the new owners don't get rid of the amazing signage.
dragons
bridge at night II
Brooklyn at night
furs
dollar store treasures
Dollar stores in New York are really random and often colorful. Sometimes you can even find deadstock vintage items, like some Mr. T/A-team stickers I found years ago.
on bedford
The neighbors do not appreciate this yard on Bedford. I'm not sure how I feel about it, you?
bathroom II
This is the most intensely graffitied bathroom I've ever photographed.
shrimp cocktail
Now that's what I call a shrimp cocktail!
world's worst sign ever
This is the worst ad I've ever seen in my entire life. Even the kids somehow look like douchebags. What is with the "family drama" copy? I could go on and on about why I loathe this, but instead I find comfort in knowing graffiti is rampant around those parts.
liberty and justice for all
I'm going to end with a poodle...
poodle
...because poodles rule!
Be sure and check out the other photos on my flickr account.
heart,
--m


9 comments:

  1. You were new york! omg! brooklyn is like an hour from my house! Anyway, I am totally digging the yard in bedford, although I'd assume it's dilapidated form would skeeve the neighbors out I think it's genius. Oh and that billboard is the most annoying thing I've ever seen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your bio said you live "in the middle of nowhere"?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shots :)  What a cool place to house sit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonedrful set of photos! made me wanted to be in New York righ now! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The yarn bombed shopping cart is a hoot!

    And I love the evidences of business from the past.  Looks like you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. House sitting in Brooklyn would be the equivalent of house sitting in heaven. You're so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness, what wonderful pictures.  I love, love, love the shrimp cocktail because I love shrimp cocktail and because it's hilarious.  Also, it takes some serious work to make children look like douchebags, so well done child-hating-stylist?  I guess?

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!