April 24, 2011

Road Trip Part I: Texas

Howdy Y'all!
Since I last blogged, I've travelled all the way to Texas. I drove over 1,1000 miles all by my lonesome from Eugene to Marfa where I picked up my road tripping buddy. [As long as we're on the road, you can refer to us as "Big Rig Mamma" (me) and "Lil' 'Bit" (her). ] Here are two shots I took on route 10:
IMG_7902
That is the single most interesting use of the term "logistics" I've ever encountered. 
IMG_7901
This sign was quite the sobering reminder that the southwest is quite different from the Pacific Northwest. 

On Thursday I gave a presentation at a conference in San Antonio. Only after the pressure of being articulate while networking was over did I feel like I could let loose and start having fun. Here is my trip in pictures so far, although keep in mind that I am taking tons of photos with my Diana Mini that won't be online until after my journey. 
San Antonio:
IMG_7916
This is me at the Alamo shortly after my presentation, in case you were wondering what I wore. 
IMG_7907
IMG_7914
Gruene:
IMG_7920
IMG_7921
I can't stop laughing at the "tavern in the Gruene" pun. (I love cheesy puns.) Just outside Gruene, me and Lil' 'Bit ate barbeque ordered by weight. 

Austin:
IMG_7926
"People in Austin dress like people in Portland do for the one week that it is actually hot" observed Lil' 'Bit. Big Rig Mamma now understands the importance of including short-shorts in her wardrobe.
IMG_7925
I love all the mid-century signage around Austin. It is basically a hipster heaven, so of course I like it here.
IMG_7930
There is an abundance of food carts (market saturation) and of course the ones that are converted Airstreams particularly tickle my fancy.
IMG_7931
 I went into an antique shop called "Uncommon Ground" that basically made my head explode because it was so crammed full of beautiful stuff like Victorian hair lockets and religious artwork. I must also add that the staff is very gracious and friendly. 
IMG_7928
IMG_7934
IMG_7944
IMG_7946
After Austin, we drove back to Marfa, stopping in historic Fredericksburg. Here are some shots along the way:
IMG_7962
IMG_7959
IMG_7966
IMG_7969
IMG_7970
Marfa is one of the coolest places I have ever been, especially from an architectural standpoint. Sadly I didn't have enough time to take many photos. There are also quite a few Airstreams here!
IMG_7974
IMG_7976
IMG_7977
Don't these clouds look like nature's ribs?
IMG_7983
Marfa is home to the Chanati foundation which features the art and vision of Donald Judd.

I'd love to post more, but the open road beckons. Please check out more of my photos from Texas.
heart,
--m

Share |

4 comments:

  1. You have such a quirky eye...I love riding along on your road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such awesome pics! Looks like an amazing trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome shots :) I can never get enough of all that fun signage and the VLA looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!