March 30, 2011

Inspiration: Devo

I love not just Devo's music but also their aesthetic sensibility. The group's members met as art students at Kent State in the early 1970s so their strong visual choices are no accident.  
via
Mainly what I appreciate is their deeply subversive use of 1950s science-fiction and pop culture imagery. 
I'm really into the faux-uptight look and attitude. Devo knows how to work a uniform.
via
via
Devo is short for "de-evolution," a concept the band uses to explain the backwards trajectory of the human race. 
via
At first listen, Devo seems quirky, kinda upbeat and campy. However, the lyrics reveal biting satire and social critique. 1950s imagery is perfect for juxtaposing saccharine sweet first impressions with disconcerting themes and Devo does this brilliantly.  
via
via
I am all about the colorful but deviant logo. 
via
The band has also worked with artist KRK Ryden to create "Devotional" artwork:
My 10 song Devo playlist: We're All Devo * Booji Boy's Funeral * "37" * It Takes a Worried Man * I'm a Potato * Day My Baby Gave Me a Surprise * Big Mess * One Dumb Thing * Come Back Jonee* Words Get Stuck in My Throat
via
That's frontsman Mark Mothersbaugh on the right. Besides his work with Devo he's composed music for Rugrats, Big Love and PeeWee's Playhouse. He is also visually gifted:
via
via
He even makes these fantastic rugs:
via
via
To Translate Devo's Sensibility to Personal Style Wear:
*Square 1950s clothes juxtaposed with a deviant or subversive overall mood (through accessories, makeup or your behavior).
*Bright colors
*Nerdy glasses

For more info check out Devo's Official Site. Fellow Devotees, please reveal yourselves.
heart,
--m

1 comment:

  1. HHi, thank you for commenting on my blog. I love the art work here, especially the squashed man. :) x

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!