January 29, 2011

The Sick Rose

Today's post, photographed entirely by Malin Laney, was inspired by William Blake and his poem "The Sick Rose".
IMG_1885
William Blake must have been the freest spirit to ever walk this earth. He saw creative expression as the best means of realizing one's spirituality. For him, literature and visual art were not separate crafts, but different sides of the same coin. He was both radical and innocent in his vision and deeply inspired by the natural world. Unlike many of his contemporaries, he openly spoke out against slavery and the subjugation of women. I think Blake realized that true freedom arrises through love and empathy.  
Rose

"O Rose, thou art sick!

The invisible worm,

That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,

Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy;
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy."

IMG_1958
A lady in a nursing home where I briefly volunteered said she had only one piece of advice for me: "Don't let nobody steal your joy-- and people are gonna try to steal your joy." What I didn't realize is how often those who wish to steal our joy aren't just outright haters, but come in the guise of our "friends" or "lovers." Like the rose, our joy makes us attractive to those invisible worms whose intentions are too flawed to give love without taking something greater. Identify those individuals and pluck them from your lives! Like the rose, grow some thorns but do not stop blooming.  
IMG_2000
And now for something completely different.... Hot pink nails are maybe my favorite, like this shade by Sinful Colors. I've found that regardless of the brand, neon nail polishes chip much faster than their muted counter parts. So this time I tried using a white coat underneath to see if it helps last longer. Will let you know.
IMG_1893
Yes, I know my bra-strap is showing.
IMG_1894

IMG_1895
Although we were in the Owen Rose Garden, nothing was really in bloom yet. 
IMG_1897
(fyi: those are actually called beauty berries.)
IMG_1905

IMG_1921
(*1950s dress: Deluxe *Booties: Schuler and Sons Philadelphia * hot pink tights: local roller derby shop *vintage purse: Nest *necklace: the Jasmine Gallery)
IMG_1928

IMG_1935

IMG_1951
(*vintage coat: thrifted) 
IMG_1953

IMG_2007
Just showing off the lining of my coat.
IMG_1974

IMG_1976

IMG_1990
I won this beautiful necklace made by the Jasmine Gallery from a contest on Yes and Yes. You'll be seeing a lot of it. 
IMG_2011
Creativity is the key. Be the rose, not the worm! Guard your own joy and don't steal it from others. Any other Blake fans out there? I would love to hear your interpretation of this poem.
heart,
--m

6 comments:

  1. This is too cute for words! I'm really loving all random bits of neon pink in this outfit. That lipstick shade is really nice too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your lovely comments, really glad to have found your blog... lovely to see so much effort being put into something rather than just a load of wanky catwalk photos stolen from somewhere else! .... i'll be coming back very soon!....
    www.thefashionturd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your lovely comments, really glad to have found your blog... lovely to see so much effort being put into something rather than just a load of wanky catwalk photos stolen from somewhere else! .... i'll be coming back very soon!....
    www.thefashionturd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written and the photos are gorgeous. The items you included with you are perfect, too.

    Despite the fact that my mum teaches English and I grew up reading poetry, I am not a huge fan now. I can't quite explain it. But I do have a book of William Blake poems here; bought it just last week. :) My boyfriend admires his art, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shoot! Is that indeed a typewriter? I love that the color matches the camera!

    I absolutely despise the phrase "pop of color", but the picture of your nails is exactly that! WOWZA!

    Also congrats on winning the necklace! Yes and Yes is wonderful : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great post! I love all the pictures, and the complete styling. William Blake is one of my favorite poets/artists. I love the crossover artists, using different forms to compliment each other. And I love love that dress!

    Lauren
    Sparrow & Urchin

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!