December 08, 2010

Mo Makeup

Hello Again,
Let's talk about something near and dear to my heart, shall we?
makeup
    I'm going to start posting more about my makeup looks here. I know that for many people cosmetics symbolize artifice, escapism and even self-hatred. So I'd like to express my point-of-view and why I would devote time and brain power to write about a shade of lipstick:
  • For the record, I don't advocate everyone wearing makeup, only those who feel like it. 
  • I believe that makeup is 90% personal preference (the rest is mainly color theory and practice). 
  • Makeup can help express a mood, reference, or personality trait 
  • It can both pull together or drastically alter an entire look. 
  • My love of makeup stems from my love of color. It's like paints and crayons for my face! 
  • I don't think only expensive makeup is good, but cheap makeup is much like cheap paint; often, you're just getting less pigment and more filler. Your call.
  • Makeup can be as much about creativity and expression as you make it  (dress-code notwithstanding).
  • Makeup is not for hiding your face or emulating an unattainable ideal, but accentuating your own unique features. 
  • Makeup is not about pleasing others, most especially not strangers. 
  • It has been used by both genders with various connotations and applications globally throughout time. Just sayin'. 
Well, now that I've said my piece, I'd like to point you this amazing video by Mademoiselle Robot. Thank you for all your contributions to my last post-- I know the photo above is dark and a bit blurry but I swear it was taken 2 weeks ago. If you have any tips or advice on how to self-photograph makeup please share! 
Thanks again so much!
heart,
--m
ps
all embellishments to photo are from puglypixel

3 comments:

  1. Your photos are an absolute improvement on your first ones where we couldn´t see your face.
    Excellente job my dear friend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany- Va-Voom VintageDecember 9, 2010 at 8:32 AM

    I know, natural light is hard for me too because we only have a few good windows in the house! Its especially hard when it's freezing cold outside. Another option that I just thought of is to prop your mirror near a lamp with a bulb that looks like natural light. Good luck, I cant wait to see your makeup looks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! Make up can be so much fun when it's used as a creative expression. ;)

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!