"Yes, you don't feel as comfortable in clothes that fit as you do in your pajamas. That's a good thing. You're navigating a world where you need to have your wits about you. If you're in a lackadaisical comfort haze, you can't be engaged in the world the way you need to be."Many dresses balance comfort and engagement. Longtime readers will already be familiar with what I call the "Easy Breezy Dress." An easy breezy dress makes you feel like an effortless cover girl. It matches so many things you wear, especially your favorite shoes. You can skip through fields while wearing it and later meet important people. Here is an easy breezy dress I got from an indie designer in Argentina
Nope, not my dog!
*boots: Argentina * hat: Portland last year *cardigan: Kitsch * purse: thrifted*
Five Reasons Dresses Make Style Easy
- You can make them as simple or as complex as you want. Because the dress is a one-piece garment there is no need to coordinate like with separates. A sun dress with flats is sometimes the best outfit. Or you can decide how far to go with layering, winterizing the same sun dress by pairing it with wool tights, boots and a sweater. (If it's really cold, add a vest, coat, scarf, more sweaters.)
- They are appropriate for nearly every setting. You can wear a dress to a house of worhship, the office, a nightclub, the airport, a premiere, a date, the beach, mommy-and-me etc. There are even dresses appropriate for camping and hiking, which inspired me to start an annual "dresses-only hike."
- The combination of reasons 1 and 2 lends the dress its extreme versatility. Of course, this is not true of every dress, but still a good number. With the right layers and accessories, the same dress can function for so many occasions. This is a blessing for travelers and anyone with a tight budget or closet. Coco Chanel was genius for inventing the little black dress because it is the "perfect neutral platform for accessories" (again Tim Gunn). A simple knee-length jersey or shirt dress with flip-flops works just fine as a swimsuit coverup. Perhaps this beach is on the Italian riveria and you wish to visit the nearby churches? Grab a jacket, maybe some tights and ballet flats out of your backpack and voila. Many designers now offer convertible dresses, but also consider a dress that layers over an opaque slip because it can act like a 2-in-1 garment.
- Every girl and woman looks good in a dress. No matter what your body type, lifestyle or aesthetic, there are many dresses that look good on you. It is my opinion that dresses are actually the most flattering garment for the female form. If you're unsure of what looks good on you, try on bias-cut or wrap dresses. Shirt-dresses made of quality fabric are also flattering for most women, especially when worn with a belt.
- You can impress people without making very much effort. When you are uninspired, dresses can make getting ready formulaic. My go-to equation is: dress + cardigan + boots = ready. At the same time, a lot of people associate a dress with, well, dressiness. You can slack off without being a slob. (If only I could apply this same principle to other arenas of my life...)
Well, I hope you've enjoyed my five reasons why dresses make style easy. Any other reasons?