October 29, 2010

How to Artfully Mismatch (and Span Seasons) Part I: Purple, Orange and Brown Palette


"Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if i were a bird i would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns."
       -- George Eliot

mixmatch001
Yes, you have seen this 50s chiffon dress before during it's intended season, summer. I'm a firm believer in wearing anything whenever you want. So when I found this amazing 70s sweater at Nobody's Baby, I knew it would bring this dress back into the mix for fall. Do you ever wear summer dresses into the colder weather or (even trickier) winter items in summer?
mixmatch003
*70s Boots: thrifted
http://www.flickr.com/photos/melinabee/5121667929/
A trick to mixing and matching patterns is to maintain one unifying element, in this case a distinctive color palette. The sweater itself uses this principle, since it combines the elephant pattern with very narrow stripes which pull from the same color scheme. Although a bit brighter, the dress celebrates the same summery yet autumnal palette.
mixmatch002
(This is the dress without the sweater.)
mixmatch004
And this is the extent of my immaturity as I show off my "finer assets" to photographer and blogger Amelia. Hope everyone is enjoying the fall without having to put away their favorite summer clothes,
heart,
--m

1 comment:

  1. thanks for being the first to post pictures of the new but not done DAWN BABY SALON. you're the cutest and i'll photo you anytime, babygirl. xoxoxooxox!

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!