July 28, 2010

an outfit, movie discussion and update

Yesterday I saw "I am Love" or "Io Sono Amore" at a really wonderful local theater called the Bijou, which I will feature in an architecturally-oriented post soon. I cast a pink glow over my photos that was sorta throughout the movie in various scenes.


*1950s dress: the trunk at Nobody's Baby
*Hot Lips platforms: thrifted in Virginia last summer.
*Vintage nude cuff: thrifted



I'm a firm believer that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I hope Elizabeth from White Lightening doesn't mind my copying her method of self-portraiture. How fun is it that the dress pattern has stripes within the bigger stripes? Also I am in love with these shoes and deep slides in general, like in my last post. (Ps: polish is Mint Sprint by Sally Hansen.)

Have you seen "I am Love" and if so, what did you think? I felt it was deeply moving, touched on probably too many themes for me to fully absorb from a single viewing and also reminded me of my deep appreciation and passion for Italy and Italian culture. I don't want to spoil it for anyone here in the post, but feel free to discuss your opinion openly in the comments and so will I.

A quick update: I decided to switch directions with my Etsy shop. I realized I can't focus on buying and selling vintage right now because I am still nowhere near finished with my thesis. However, I will be introducing some VERY special handmade items that will remain a surprise for now. Stay tuned.

Thanks again,
heart
--m

4 comments:

  1. Lovely dress, love the sandals!~
    Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    Christmas in July giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Melina,

    Thanks for the comments! I adore that dress you are wearing! It's colorful, and the neckline reminds me of a sailor's outfit. I will have to check out that movie, too. Thanks for not ruining it with a spoiler! I really don't like it when people do that without a warning!

    About your last comment: I don’t think Bjork is modest in her fashion, but what I really admire about her is the art in her bizarre clothing. A lot of my influences express themselves sexually, but what good I see in them is what makes all the difference. I also like a lot of music, and often times those artists inject a lot of sexuality in their lyrics. I just like the way I take music and transcend it visually into my clothing. Everybody does it in some form without them really thinking about it.

    http://alamodest.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to see that movie - someone was telling me how much they enjoyed it! btw, your blog is lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors on this dress and that it's from the 50's. I have a skirt that my mom used to wear back in the 80's that has the exact same color palette and also stripes within stripes.

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!