March 19, 2010

RIP Winter 2010 and Age 25

All good things must come to an end. Winter 2010 is coming to a close today and so is my year being 25.



Like all Aries, I'm a lover of new beginnings, so I say, RIP 25! RIP Winter 2010!
Speaking of new beginnings, today's post is the first to feature the work of the lovely and talented Malin. Not only is she a great photographer (no fear of color!), she is amazingly nice and easy going. Seriously, if you have some unruly teenagers you cannot get to sit still for a family portrait, you need to get Malin involved. Be sure to visit her here, at her photo blog, and here, her more general blog. Also you can visit her flikr set here.



That's me, pouring some henney for my fallen (winter 2010 fashion) homies. Only I don't like to litter, so I'm just pretending. This outfit was probably my favorite of Winter 2010 and before I cut my hair too short, I'd wear it up in Leah buns. I call the look Queequeg's girlfriend since someone said the tights made my legs look all tattooed.(Q. being the tattooed best friend of Ishmael in Moby Dick.)
*Coat-- recent thriftscore. Fully lined with silk that is made to look like lace in parts. Real wool and fur... purrrr....
*Dress-- from one of my favorite resale shops in Portland: The Village Merchants. Handmade, 1950s. Who doesn't love red velvet?
*Earrings-- by Tawapa, via High Priestess
*Tights-- Oroblu
*Boots-- BΓΈrns, that I still can't believe these turned up in Marshalls somehow. Let's zoom in closer, shall we?



Closer you say?



Yes, these are in fact, the best tights ever. Not only do they depict Venice, one of the most beautiful cities in the world, but they are reversible and totally glittery on the other side. Yes, these are in fact, the best tights ever.



I had no idea velvet photographed in such a psychedelic way. Groovy, man.



Ah, my inner pin up reveals herself... A brief moment to introduce a segment here on the blog called History Is Sexy. These photos were taken in a historic Pioneer Cemetery from the 19th century. Malin commented on how many people were using the cemetery as though it were a park, walking their dogs, jogging and enjoying the sunshine like Oregonians will. In the 1900s, cemeteries were one of the few green spaces available to middle and working class Americans, especially before the widespread use of parks. According to Dr. L.M. Roth's definitive book American Architecture: a History, the 19th century cemetery's "purpose was not only to be a repository for the... dead, but also to serve as a place of peaceful relaxation, contemplation, and recreation for the living."  Given today's lack of urban green space and the need for historic cemetery conservation, I think the solution is obvious. Why not promote beautiful cemeteries as parks? Why not be surrounded by life and beauty while you rot? And why not appreciate the role of rot in the world while you are being alive and beautiful? That sounds very Harold and Maude to me, and I likes that.



The photo above and below are not by Malin, but by me. Dare I say that Tauruses are beautiful and oh so mellow? They're so grounded and strong, it's hard for a fire sign like me not to feel inspired. So, I've been getting into photography myself these days (that and Photoshop if you can't tell).



Hope you've all enjoyed saying goodbye to winter 2010 and age 25 with me!

5 comments:

  1. I'll have to say goodbye to being 25 soon too :-(
    But maybe my 26th year gets even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every year is just one more of gaining experience being fabulous! See the movie Harold and Maude and also this blog for proof.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the way you said goodbye on the cementary, haha :).

    and happy birthday to you ;*.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so looks like you DID find a good local photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES! I added a blurb about "I am not a model. I will never be. I am short and dark" to my ad which seems to have done the magic for Malin.

    ReplyDelete

looking forward to hearing from you!